Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church
Huntsville, Texas 77342
Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church began in a school building before the year of 1870. In this school, people of the local community held church meetings for many years. Later this group of people saw the need for a church. Sister Lugenia Dickey suggested that the church be named the Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church. The people agreed on this name and began organizing their church. Brother Munroe Lyles donated two acres of land to the community -- one acre for the church and one for the cemetery. Brother Lyles passed away before the land was deeded and became the first person to be buried on the Mt. Zion grounds. His wife, Sister Mariah Lyles, deeded the land on June 21, 1884 to the trustees of the new church and their successors for the sum of $1.00. The original trustees were M.G Dickey, Primus Archie, Richard Brown, and Sidney Dickey Sr. The first Church was a small box building.
The first pastor was Reverend George Office, who served until 1895. Rev. Walter Watkins became the second pastor from 1895 to 1902. He was then followed by D.W White, from 1902 to 1910. Rev. Cornelius Harrison became Mt. Zion’s fourth pastor in 1910, and served until 1924. Rev. Harrison was followed by Rev. E.W. Dickey, pastor from 1924 to 1932. During Rev. Dickey’s years with Mt. Zion, a new church was built. Rev. Ben Collins, pastor from 1932 to 1949, rebuilt the church in 1941. After Rev. Collins, Rev. Sam Jones became the 7th pastor of Mt. Zion from 1949 until 1961. Rev. Jones was followed by Rev. Earl Andrews who served from 1961 until his death in 1972. Rev. S.H. Datson then became the pastor from 1972 until December 1973. He was followed by Rev. Paul Ray, who served from January 1974 until his death in an automobile accident in June 1974. After Rev. Ray’s death, the church was left without a pastor for several months. During this time, Rev. L.B. Simon held service with the assistance of the deacons.
Romans 10:14 says”…How shall they hear without a preacher?” The church began to pray, telling the Lord about the need for a leader. The Church’s prayers were answered when Rev. Andrew Issac accepted the call to pastor Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church on September 18, 1974. Rev. Issac delivered his first sermon on the 4th Sunday in September 1974. His text was “In the midst of change,” 1 Samuel 3:13. He was the 11th minister to ever lead our church. Through the divine power of God, Rev. Issac and the deacons saw the need for a new building. The plans for the new church began to move forward in 1979. In June1980, the new building was complete and we held our first services on Sunday, June 23, 1980. Rev. Issac resigned as pastor of the church on March 16, 2003 because of illness. Once again, prayers went up to God for a leader. Rev. M. C. Mc Carter accepted pastor of the Mt. Zion Church family April 21, 2003. Rev. McCarter was installed June 29, His text was; “A change, makes a difference.” Malachi 3:6 Rev. Mc Carter was pastor until his illness and passing on October 26, 2008. The deacons began praying and fasting with the members for a leader that they knew God would be sending. On October 5, 2009 Rev. C.R Hutchinson was sent, and accepted the leadership to the Mt. Zion Church until January 17, 2016.
Once again Mt. Zion went steadfastly into prayer for its next leader. Rev. Max Joseph Toliver Jr. of Kingdom Harvest in Willis, Texas blessed us by presiding over several services until he became a candidate for the vacancy. On August 14, 2016, the Mt. Zion body elected Rev. Toliver and on August 21, 2016, he accepted the position as Pastor over the Mt. Zion flock. His first sermon was from Job 1:12-22; 13:15 titled “Yet will I trust Him.” Thank God for Pastor Max Joseph Toliver Jr. and his beautiful family.
Prayer and love is the answer here at Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church.
WE CAN REJOICE IN OUR CHURCH AND INVITE OUR FRIENDS AND RELATIVES TO BE APART OF OUR CHRISTIAN FAMILY, BUT LET US NOT FORGET WHERE WE CAME FROM AND HOW FAR GOD HAS BROUGHT US.